From:
Robert Holcombe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Jan 2021 00:06:19 +0000
You put a lot on the plate for discussion, some very debatable.  Starting at the bottom (from memory), honey.  Honey's thermal resistance increases with decreasing honey temperature; viscosity also drops which has a big affect when honey is not crystallized.  I just checked honey stored in my 5F Freezer.  It is still a liquid albeit very viscous - I can leave a finger print in it.  Admittedly my honey does not crystallize quickly.  I would maintain, without test data, that leaving frames in place with honey and without honey provides thermal resistance of significanct value.  The effect on natural ventilation is likely a pressure drop increase over the height with two portal effects.  The idea of bottom slats besides being a nice volume for bees  (I use a medium) likely acts as a flow dampener, increases the pressure drop but also act as flow straightener device which should help establish laminar flow.
In many discussions on ventilation I never see a discussion on vapor pressure differentials which is a driving force causing flow out of a hive. I would believe numbers show the internal hive vapro pressure is more often higher than outside the hive.   Also remember water vapor mixing with "air" is buoyant and rises.  I also agree temperature differentials causes convection currents with very low Reynolds number characteristics.
I have recently bought a thermal book, Heat and Mass Transfer, 700 pages, to replace my old book, lost over time.  I intend to relearn some stuff but I have hit a road block .  Current cheap weather stations measuring temperature and Relative Humidity (RH) do not have a wide enough sensing range with accuracy and deteriorate with time and high humidity - polymer based; temperature sensing seems acceptable.  As I think RH is intwined with temperature regulation by bees, measuring the variable is critical to understanding the internal dynamics. Measuring CO2 would likely be added on soon thereafter. I am going to look at high cost ceramic sensors and the idea of using thermal couples to determine RH inside a hive.  All a lot of work when I also like my gardening and construction projects.
Without question external wind is a player - mostly negative I guess but a player in gas exchange in winter time as wind creates significant pressure differentials too.
I use to have an associate, a working friend, with a Phd in gas dynamics.  I may have to look him up if he is still alive and around.  When I have something repeatable I'll let you know.  In my balmy climate I do believe insulating heavily, eliminating top vents, controlling the bottom entrance has  a very positive effects on survival, supportive of early Spring brood rearing and capping honey.

Good luck in your efforts,Bob