Date:
Tue, 9 Jun 2020 19:53:35 -0400
> I'm not sure I agree with the virus classification scheme discussed by PJB. The primary distinction is based upon their genetic material and mode of replication. The Baltimore scheme - named after Nobel laureate David Baltimore - is the one most virologists know.

It's PLB. You may be thinking of PB&J.  And the brief quotation was from a longer piece on viruses, updated in May 2020. The excerpt very clearly does not lay out a system of classification, but rather covers some of the many complexities that make classification difficult.

Taxonomy is a contentious topic no matter where it shines its lights. I do think it is somewhat sketchy to use the Linnaean system (Genus/species) for rogue strands of nucleic acid. These days even the names and groupings of common plants change so often that few can keep up.

Pete