From:
Gene Ash <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jun 2020 06:06:51 -0500
I use to buy some II stock from Glenn Apiary.  I would buy 2 or 3 II queens of a particular type to sell some of the offspring to the new beekeeper crowd with the ultimate idea of seeing how the F2 mated with untreated stock held up against varroa. Some of these cross did quite well but sadly are no longer available for queen rearing folks like myself.  I bought Cordovan stock for a couple of years and these proved to be nice and gentle bees for the hobby folks but not so robust in fighting varroa.

Along with the Codovan stock came a certain small number of white eyed drones (sometimes called snow eyed drones) and their single recessive sisters 'red eyed drones'.  It was my understanding that the white eyed drones did not mate since they were blind but the red eyed drones passed on the trait. The first time I saw white eyed drones it was pretty startling.

Gene in Central Texas...