From:
Geoff Manning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jan 2020 08:17:13 +0000
------ Original Message ------

>>It's surprising to me that your queens shut down when there's a pollen flow
>>on and decent flight weather.
>In Australia, Trevor showed me colonies in full brood production on the
>winter solstice, which really makes me question the photoperiod hypothesis.
It is certainly true in Australia that if the bees can fly and there is
pollen or nectar the bees will certainly work. Trevor of course is in a
sub tropical area. But anywhere in here on the mainland at least winter
or autumn honey flows are common. The problem is that many of our honey
trees are pollen deficient, meaning that the bees can collapse unless
there is a pollen source at the same time; they turn themselves into
honey. Yapunyah, Napunyah, depending on which side of the border one is
on, is pollen deficient and a winter flowerer. Most years to get pollen
one relies on ground flora, and that relies on rain at the appropriate
time. A friend lost half their outfit one year as they didn't get the
expected rain. Dead hives full of honey. One year a little west of
Trevor where snow is not uncommon we had bees swarming in the middle of
winter.

Geoff Manning