From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Nov 2019 17:33:32 +0000
<><><>  OA is found in rhubarb.While the stalks of the plant are edible, it's not recommended that the leaves bee eaten (May bee a myth)<<<

As a kid on our farm, we had a large rhubarb patch growing along a fence at the edge of the lawn.  The fence separated a 2 acre pasture from the lawn around our farmhouse.  We kept our youngest dairy calves in that pasture, so we could keep a good watch on them. The calves always stretched through the fence to nibble on the rhubarb leaves.

When the rhubarb bolted and was done for the season, we'd cut it back, tossing the leaves over the fence.  The calves had a banquet!

We were told over and over - rhubarb leaves are toxic!

The calves were our smallest - we didn't want large animals pushing on the fence, getting into the yard around the house.  We never had more than 6-8 at at a time in that pasture.  The day that we cut the rhubarb leaves, the calves had a feast.  They didn't bloat, showed no discomfort, didn't show any signs of being sick, but they really liked the leaves!  End of day, the leaves were all gone.

Considering how much they ate on that day, it's not likely that it is very poisonous, if at all, to cattle.  Maybe if they had days to browse, but one large dose didn't curb their enthusiasm.  Obviously, their gut is very different from ours.