From:
Paul Hosticka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Nov 2019 12:23:51 -0500
>wait 2 minutes before removing the vaporizer and the wait an additional 10 minute before unsealing the hive? What is happening in those 12 minutes?

Rebekah, very good questions indeed.

I use a Pro-Vap and with 2 cups and 2 shields I move down the line spending about 30- 45 seconds on each. As soon as the sublimation is complete I pull the vaporizer change to the already filled cup and insert in the next already installed shield then remove the previous shield fill the cup and repeat. Previous experience with a wand type was the same except waiting for the 3 minutes for sublimation. I never see any escaping fog after the sublimation is done. When the shield is removed some "dusted " bees come out on the landing walk around a bit and return. All other flight activity seems normal. A colony that has been sealed for 15 minutes on a hot summer day can exhibit their displeasure upon release (personal experience). So I too wander what is the technical basis for the recommended wait period. My suspicion is there is some concern over applicator safety but would like to hear others explanation.

Paul Hosticka
Dayton WA