From:
Etienne Tardif <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Mar 2019 20:28:52 -0400
I’m not a large scale beekeeper and I have 3 isolated yards. Last year I washed my poly hive boxes with vinegar and then placed them in the sun for a few days. My frames (wood) parts were scrapped and torched. The drawn wax was sprayed with peroxide solution and then sun baked 3 days per side. In all I did 6 boxes, 3 bottom boards and 60 frames that were covered with dysentery. I tested the dysentery using warm water and a qtips to extract residue to check for Nosema spores. They were all positive. The hives had also been frozen to minus -30C from during late winter after dying out. I split all this gear into 4 new hives in 2018. 3 are showing no signs and one has a very high count of Nosema C. I should have done some testing before winter on this hive as it showed some of the typical symptoms. An acetic acide fumigation approach would have been nice but maybe next time.

I got the ideas from a study on the impacts of UV on Nosema. I also read about the potential impact of cold of the viability of Nosema C spores. Peroxide is disinfectant that I had at home. The yard was isolated so no risk of robbing or transmission. I think there’s a picture at the bottom of the link in my original post.

However the best solution is prevention and replacing some old frames every year. I’m also trialing Nozevit+.