From:
Paul Hosticka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Mar 2019 13:30:49 -0400
> They do get feed from the "root" system of several mushrooms, and coffee grounds and wood chips are a prime growing
medium for mushrooms.

Just a bit of a correction and noted that root is in quotes but the mycelium is the vegetative part of a fungus, consisting of a network of fine white filaments (hyphae). The mushroom is the fruiting body only. So similar to an apple tree the entire tree is the mycelium and the apple is the mushroom. Paul Stamets and WSU are doing some very interesting work on the question of bees collecting fugal extracts and we have discussed that here but I doubt that it is in overwintered coffee grounds.

I see bees messing with all manner of stuff in the compost and barn on the first warm days. Coffee grounds, sawdust, hair clippings, vacuum fluff. I think they're just out and about  and don't have anything better to do.  I make a practice of giving them trays of dry sub and they really go for that. They drop it all like a bad habit once there is real food to gather.

Paul Hosticka
Dayton WA