Date:
Sun, 17 Mar 2019 11:28:46 -0500
In a recent post, Eupatorium or Joe Pye Weed was mentioned.  I have become interested in this nectar plant that grows near one of my beeyards.  It is in bloom for an extended period, favored by bees and I credit it for a good tasting honey.

The medicinal history of Eupatorium goes back to ancient Mesopotamia where it was touted as the universal antidote.  Up into the 19th century it was prescribed as part of therapeutic cocktails for a variety of diseases.  Although the FDA does not recognize Eupatorium treatment, the fact that it seemed to survive for 2000 years as a medicine makes one ponder.

I wonder... if there is true medicinal value in the plant, do the phytochemicals transferred through the nectar to the honey have any specific value.  I would think this is the mechanism by which some honeys - such as Manuka honey - enjoy a health reputation.  Does my Joe Pye Weed have the opportunity of being the next manuke honey?  I expect the true answer to this is long and expensive.

Either way, I really enjoy my eupatorium honey.  Do others harvest from one of the varieties of eupatorium?  Is it light and tasteful as mine?

Larry Krengel