Date:
Fri, 15 Mar 2019 18:10:50 -0400
> what is the point of diagnosing your Nosema level if there is nothing to be done?

That would my question, too. What is the point? Following Traver & Fell (2018):

In this study, honey bee colonies were exposed to Fumagilin-B. No significant effects on the levels of Nosema ceranae. Any effects on the parasites, pathogens, and immunity observed appear to be due mainly to seasonal changes within the honey bee colonies. The results suggest that Fumagilin-B does not significantly impact the health of honey bee colonies [note: neither positive nor negative effects].

ΒΆ

In light of this, I would suggest that honey bees benefit from being in supportive areas and thrive in good weather, which is a no-brainer. In lieu of that, possibly supplemental feeding would help. The influx of honey or syrup is highly stimulating to colonies, especially if supported with natural pollen or a supplement.

Keep the colonies strong; raise nucs only during favorable weather, so they are subjected to minimal stress. Beekeepers often greatly increase stress on the colonies by their activities. Stressed bees seem to develop all sorts of problems such as chalk brood, nosema, etc. These also tend to clear up if conditions are optimal.

See: Traver, B. E., Feazel-Orr, H. K., Catalfamo, K. M., Brewster, C. C., & Fell, R. D. (2018). Seasonal Effects and the Impact of In-Hive Pesticide Treatments on Parasite, Pathogens, and Health of Honey Bees. Journal of economic entomology, 111(2), 517-527.