Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Mar 2019 02:18:56 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (39 lines)
Gene- In my mind, (and you guys are telling me I am wrong so I will take a different path) I saw it as insurance and a path to less antibiotics in the future

The 1st nuc I saw it in was in poor shape, no point is shook swarming. So I shifted that queen to a nuc that had go drone laying and gave the 1st nuc the match, two weeks later that other nuc was symptomatic and it got burned as well, leading me to beleave it transferred with the queen.
next year it was back in other hives  Re queening and shook swarm didn't work
 I haven't seen symptoms till later in the year, well after I have started queen rearing, so I had concerns (witch seem to be unfounded?) about the possibility of asymptomatic, but infected bees ending up in my mating nucs, resulting in infected queens, resulting in infections in out yards

After crunching the numbers, going with spam can nucs (shook swarm) and doing a course of Oxytet on 40 mating nucs was almost 1/2  the antibiotics needed to treat just one full sized colony, so if it saved just one queen from infection it was net less antibiotics used in the operation, at the time it seemed like a win/win, especially as most of it is destined for new equipment and a new out yard.

Arguably the way some would handle it (at least in the good old days lol ) would be to give the whole yard course of  3x rounds of oxytet before starting to shaking bees. But I don't want to use it willy nilly.  I want to go after symptomatic hives and insure the bio security of the out yards so I don't have to use any antibiotics there.

At the time a small targeted dose to the mating nucs seemed to be the best way to get the maximum impact for least amount of antibiotics used

Thank you all for you advice

Sent: Sunday, March 3, 2019 5:36 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [BEE-L] Oxytetracycline mini nuc dose?

Gene, please be careful when you quote me, please.
I was responding to the question, "So why use them ever?"  There was no
mention of mating nucs.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA
www.ScientificBeekeeping.com<http://www.ScientificBeekeeping.com>

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html