From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Mar 2019 08:30:55 -0800

> >So why use them ever?

For the same reason that you'd give them to your children or pets if they
could save their lives.
There's nothing wrong with antibiotics per say.  Prior to their discovery,
you could die from a minor infected wound, or bacterial infection of your
lungs.

A few years ago, I was speaking to an audience of beekeepers in Sweden.
There were gasps from the audience when I said the oxytet was a very useful
tool in beekeeping if used properly.  The government researcher in charge
said that Swedish beekeepers would NEVER consider using antibiotics.

So I asked for a show of hands.  I asked that if one learned that most of
his/her colonies were about to die from a bacterial disease, but could be
saved by a single course of treatment with oxytet.  How many would opt for
the treatment?

The audience squirmed uncomfortably, keeping an eye on the government
researcher (who was a friend of mine) as I also smiled at him.  Then slowly
one hand went up, then another, and then to his great surprise, nearly the
entire audience raised their hands.

I feel that it is simplistic to paint everything either black or white.
There is idealism, and then there is practical beekeeping.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA