Date:
Mon, 28 May 2018 12:17:16 -0400
> I read one time when I was young (True, not true?) that the polio epidimic became more prevaliant as sewer systems and cleanliness became more a regular thing.

Look, if you know it might not be true, why repeat it? Why not take the time to look into the issue and find out? As someone who had polio during the 1955 epidemic, it really rankles me when people say dumb stuff about polio. The whole statement is ridiculous.

> The feasibility of global polio eradication is being questioned as a result of continued transmission in a few localities that act as sources for outbreaks elsewhere. Perhaps the greatest challenge is in India, where transmission has persisted in Uttar Pradesh and Bihar despite high coverage with multiple doses of vaccine. We estimate key parameters governing the seasonal epidemics in these areas and show that *high population density* and *poor sanitation* cause persistence by not only facilitating transmission of poliovirus but also severely compromising the efficacy of the trivalent vaccine.

Science  17 Nov 2006:
Vol. 314, Issue 5802, pp. 1150-1153
DOI: 10.1126/science.1130388