Date:
Fri, 27 Dec 2019 10:07:29 -0500
Hi all
I goofed in mentioning cactus spines as equivalent to stinging behavior in bees. It's a mistake to compare plant characters to animal behaviors, in any case. In my post I noted that this behavior is complex and is not just about stinging, but is coupled with a suite of characters. Many of these (such as olfactory sensitivity, quickened responses) are beneficial in many ways, not just for defense.

Back to cacti, here's an interesting tidbit about a "spineless cactus" --

Beavertail Cactus

The pads are spineless, but have many hair-like glochids that make the areoles look like dots of felt. Nearly everyone who has had a close encounter with this or other "spineless" opuntias would rather have dealt with spines. Glochids are often too small to see, and they cause prickling pain and intense itching as the barbs work deeper into the skin with every movement.

Removing hundreds or thousands of them after falling into such a plant is an exhausting and tormenting task. Some people shave them off at skin level, which somewhat reduces the irritation, even though this leaves the tips beneath the skin. A better remedy is to gently draw very sticky tape across the afflicted skin. Another effective treatment is to cover the area with a layer of white glue, then peel it off after it dries.

http://www.desertmuseum.org/visit/exhibits_cactusgardens.php