From:
Gene Ash <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Aug 2018 04:19:11 -0700
a Pete B snip followed by > my comments..
Indeed, behavior was so markedly different among sources that we screened all of the colonies using mitochondrial DNA to determine whether any colonies were of maternal African descent. (they don't come right out and say it, but ... )

>I seem to recall back in the 60's when complaints of package failure became common there was a similar study tagged 'the Nebraska Study' (paid for by that state) that purchased packages (blind to the seller) from half a dozen known package suppliers and documented how many survived and how many failed outright.  Results were all over the place and yes names were named with failure and success rates varying from 0 to 100%.  After the fact suppliers methods were investigated and the only thing that stood out was the use of fumidil in the syrup of queen rearing nuclei and the shipping container syrup.  It was speculated that nosema a. was the likely culprit.

>I add the last line since a good deal of that was speculation based on no or little evidence.. but certainly more evidence than is present in your last statement in parentheses.

Gene in central Texas...