Date:
Thu, 4 Apr 2019 18:41:22 -0400
quoting myself:
> Very often people do things based upon other than hard facts.

I am still fuming over the article about "bee storage in Utah," which was so full of errors, there was little room for much else. For starters, the oft repeated goof that the Mormons brought bees to Utah in 1847. The L.D.S. started a trek from Illinois with some 2400 people, about that many animals (cattle, oxen, sheep, dogs, cats) and five bee hives. A huge number of the livestock perished, as well as a lot of the people.

They stopped keeping records because they had become so disheartened they couldn't bear to write about it. So, no, there is no record of whether the bees made it. But considering there was hardly a blade of grass or a pool of water to keep the livestock alive, I doubt the bees survived the trip. There is an interesting story about how Utah became a major beekeeping state, but that isn't it.

Peter L Borst