Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Sep 2018 13:08:27 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (30 lines)
My apologies,  2 mistakes in my post,  first I refereed to ABC  which is a Root book,  not ABJ  I should have said Hive and Honeybee.   I also shouldn’t use a sports metaphor in this crowd.  In my defense  pulling and running honey in 100+ is kicking my butt.

Pete  my point is simple,  but for guys with advanced degrees,  you just cannot see it.  While these publications are probably not really Science based,  the general public that reads them,  belives they are.  As such they shape our industry and conversations.

Take "vast monoculture"  a complete junk term with no basis,  repeated enough times its now standard lexicon in most forage conversations.

This is and will continue to happen.  The articles chosen and printed do become fact in the minds of the readers.  Take for example Rusty's article in ABJ July this year,  (hate to be repetive,  but its highlighted and sitting on my keyboard)  Rusty Quotes Andrew Smith  

"however in Chemically supported agriculture, Organic Matter is sadly lacking, and because organic matter is not returned to the soil, the fields become dusty and dry"

Now anyone who knows a darn thing about farming knows this is a flat out LIE.  There is zero difference in organics vs conventional when it comes to material other than grain,  harvesting is the same.

But,  much to my frustration  that and at least 8 other complete deceptions and misconceptions have been now published and in the minds of the readers of that,  are facts.  So as we head forward,  another myth has be forwarded.  Put the blame where you like,  Editor, author or interviewee it matters not,  these  "details"  were not presented as opinions,  but as facts.   ABJ is not alone,  Ross Conrads article on "its not the mites"  was almost instantly reverberated on Facebook, despite the reality the Science clearly shows otherwise.

While we can debate the rules, and complain,  while we are technically correct,  the general readers of these details are forming opinions the other way,  and we cannot change them.   That’s why all the lab rat test on "pesticides"  irks the heck out of me!   Take BC for example,  based in OH  there should be some great work on how pesticides are changing bees,  both good and bad,  yet  the main articles are from writers in the upper east coast,  who seldom see a spray rig.

So we believe the Science,  Monsanto is horrible,  Jerry hays sold out,  Lithum is great mite treatment, ETC.  the snippets reported are the ones the readers note.

The only cure is us   we here need to write, correct and complain. Not just cancel subscriptions. (guilty of that myself)  While there are not enough hours to tilt all the windmills,  if we as a group get started,  then hopefully we can see progress.

Charles

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2