From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Feb 2018 11:53:33 -0600
gm charlie
>This is not about honeysales or facebook gloating its about real discussion of the sciene, genetics, and potential mechinisms.  For that we need a firm line>
Now just why do we need such a fine line?  If the ideal of keeping bees is some kind of production (wether polination or honey or other) and so bee health has an impact on that and its profitability and lots of treating keeping more pressure of a parisite off on a bee does not allow for the bee to adjust and more pressure does make them want to adjust, isn't there gray areas and levels of helping more then only one way?

Glen,  I completely agree that any of the methods is great to be a beekeeper!  But to actually discuss what is working,  and on what level does require a firm line and agreement.

If you look at our advertising today you see the problem of loose definitions.  Take example of poultry,  "fresh never frozen"  sounds simple.   Actually term for frozen means never kept at zero dergres.  So you can keep them at 5 degrees for  years,  and still advertise Fresh never frozen!

So back to beekeeping,  its great to be TF,  however you do it.  We ALL want to be.  But we have to be honest when making those claims. There are many who do claim just that,  and when they sell the product,  and its not quite the same as advertised,  the comment has been   "well you didn't do X"

So the idea of a standard definition at least for those who are seriously working on the genetics is a must.  Take Randys work for example.  Hes very clear and concise in his measurement and standards.   VHS,  which has a standard also,  or the Purdue program which are also trying to set standards.

 Compare that to others who make the claims,  without any definition of what that really means or how to support it.    Its fine to be TF by any means you like,  even splitting, or requeening.   But when we are talking to others about your genetics and success its intellectually obtuse not to include all the details.

We can be TF by any methods!  And it's  all seriously  great!  But we have to be on the same page when discussing the details of what that looks like, despite advertising claims to the contrary.  Words have meaning,  in the end we have to all be on the same pages as to what that meaning is, to move the conversation forward.  There can be variations on it,  but when that happens we have to come to an understand for our use.

It seems to me the usage here is for research and claims of actually genetic/epigenetic discussion, not including constant manipulation.

Charles