Date:
Fri, 11 Dec 2020 12:30:35 -0500
> For this discussion to be a bit more scientific, we would need to compare the exact same setup with a top vent vs no top vent.'

This was done in the work I cited a few days ago:

Effects of Entrance Location on Cluster, Owens, C. D. (1971). The thermology of wintering honey bee colonies (No. 1429). US Agricultural Research Service.

The results of this study are based on a
total of 1,200,000 temperature readings made
from 1,600 to 2,000 thermocouple installations.
The readings revealed the cluster reaction to
change in outside temperature, the change in
size and shape of the cluster during the winter,
and the area of the cluster in which the brood
developed.