From:
Richard Cryberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Dec 2019 15:38:50 +0000
"> With my aging eyes I have to use a magnifying headset ..."

Last summer I was 20/70 out of my left eye.  I could see grafting size larva with that eye with no added magnification.  Getting the light angle perfect in a dark room is a big help.  If you are using either my home made from a drinking straw grafting tool or the Chinese grafting tool you do not need to see the larva when you are picking it up.  In fact, if anything, trying to see it while picking it up will hurt your performance.  You just need to see the larva to pick out which cell you are going to be grafting from.  That is true when you are grafting from intact cells.  If you knock the cell walls down after picking out the right larva, but before picking that larva up seeing the larva will help as you can see which direction to rotate the grafting tool.  But, from an intact cell the motion is simply stab the tool with the tongue on the far side wall until the tip of the tool is bent well past the bottom of the cell then pulling the tool out keeping that tongue on the far side wall while tilting the top of the tool slightly towards you.

Dick