Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 16 Apr 2018 11:52:18 -0400
From:
Scott Koppa <[log in to unmask]>
> What do you mean post mortem exam?

Basically I follow Christina's algorithm ("Winter Deadout Diagnosis Key," NY Bee Wellness), but while I'm in the field I also dump all of the dead bees not adhering to the frames onto the inverted outer cover of that hive for transport back home. Once I've inspected all of the frames, the remaining bees get added to the pile, then I shake the bees a handful at a time on a screened bottom board held over a large white plastic dish (see attached). Then I count the mites (it's like a stickyboard from hell), estimate the number of bees, and come up with a mite prevalence for the hive.

I run screened bottom boards on all of my hives, so if anything I'm underestimating the mite prevalence.

Skillman, NJ