From:
Bill Greenrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Apr 2018 19:16:20 -0400
Quick update.  On Saturday checked colonies from the packages introduced last week (popped the lids, did not pull frames).  Was breezy with temps in the low 40’sF / ~6C.  All looked fine and a couple were nibbling the pollen patties.  All had syrup left in the overhead feeders.  Was a little concerned about their ability to shift to frames with honey, since morning temps have been down around 20F / -7C, so added some dry sugar on newspaper over the clusters directly on the frames.  Spritzed with water to saturate the paper and soften the sugar.  Today warmed to a balmy 39F / 4C.  Bees really wanted to fly, clustered at the entrances, but not much external activity.  Might get a little more snow Tuesday, but then temps are supposedly to gradually warm to the low 50’sF / 10 -11C by the end of the week.  Hopefully, by then we’ll finally get some early bloomers going.  If that happens, I’ll pull some frames and do real inspections.  If I find eggs and/or brood, then it was worth it to get early packages.  If not, well it will have been a gamble that didn’t work this year.  Would have been a different story, had we had a winter like the one a couple of years ago, when they started bringing in pollen on St. Patrick’s Day.

Bill
Claremont, NH US