From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2018 07:52:58 -0400
> It only takes one data set to refute a theory or view. The scientific establishment is little different than other establishments--it is typically strongly resistant to views that shake the status quo.

This reminds me of:

Andy Clark: “I think that’s how science works: some people need to run with a thing to see where they can take it; other people need to be skeptical and push back against them. I’m the one who picks it up and runs with it.” He tends to get along with people who criticized his ideas. After all, he’s grateful that they were writing about his work. “Without your critics, you’ve not got a career.”

“Exactly,” Morcom said. “It means nobody’s paying attention to you. Whereas in science there’s a whole row going on about criticizing people in public. The number of times that I’ve seen people give talks and people are thinking, That’s bollocks, absolute shit data, and no one brings it up.” -- New Yorker Magazine, April 2, 2018

PLB