From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Apr 2018 18:35:34 -0700
Good questions Charlie.

USDA data from Texas indicates that matings can be controlled to the high
90s percentile by a commercial producer with large apiaries.  This is what
I do in my operation--simply flood the same mating yards year after year
with my own stock and innumerable drones.  It would be very difficult for
the small beekeeper to control matings in any way.

> So whats the criteria?  2 years?  5 years??

As far as locally adapted, I simply stopped bringing in outside bloodlines
years ago.  Those colonies that are adapted to both my local environs, a
trip to the almonds, my local flora (including toxic species), my local
pathogens, and my management practices are "locally adapted."  I make zero
claims for their performance in other environments or under different
management.  They also benefit from my fall feeding of pollen sub, which is
not "natural."

So the question is, what does one mean by "local"?

Previous research has demonstrated the local feral stocks can exist
alongside managed bees, yet maintain their genetic integrity.  I'm not
clear as to how they do this.  But the data shows that they can.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA