From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Sep 2017 10:39:21 -0700
In my local, bears this week moved uphill in synch with ripening fruit,
thus bringing them in contact with our apiaries (this occurs every
season).  Some bears completely tear apart the boxes and frames.  Others
are as skilled as any beekeeper at prying the boxes apart and pulling out
the frames one by one.

New or young bears often, as Jerry says, explore our unfenced temporary
apiaries.  They may knock over a few hives, and perhaps open one.  If they
get a nice snack, they will return.  If not (as with one this week), they
will move on, since the pain of the stings was not worth the scant reward.

But if that bear gets a meal of brood and honey, it will generally return
night after night, pushing right through a weak shock from an electric
fence.  We also  had one of these bears this week.  This calls for a
"training," in which I lay small pieces of bacon along the bear's approach
trail, culminating at the hot wire, upon which I hang a juicy strip.  Below
this strip I roll out chicken wire and attach the ground wire to it.  One
sniff or mouthful is all it takes to train that bear for years!

Steve, have you ever tried a bite of 9000-V bacon?  There's no other
delicacy like it--it goes right to your heart and guts, and leaves you
spasming with excitement.  I guarantee that you won't forget it : )

Mostly, previously-trained bears will not try to cross our white poly hot
wires, even if the ground is dry and there is virtually no shock.  We like
to have trained bears in the area, as they will drive away others.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA