From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Apr 2018 16:54:11 -0400
> If doolittle explains a management practice and says using it gave me 105 lbs of honey per hive in a year that every one knows was one of the worst for honey prodution.  Is that antidoltol or is that scientific?

I assume you are referring to GM Doolittle and his book "Management of Out- Apiaries or An average of 114 1/2 pounds of honey per colony, in a poor season, and how it was done."

The book was published 1915 so I honestly doubt that "every one knows it was one of the worst years for honey production." But seriously, his 80 page instruction manual on apiary management is not an anecdote, it is a detailed plan, a method, backed up with years of experience, and a proven record.

Not only that, but his other book "Scientific Queen Rearing" is the source of the queen rearing methods used by most of the world's professional queen breeders. This guy was not a story-teller, he was a serious independent investigator who earned the respect of the beekeeping world.

In case you haven't figured it out, there are people who brag about what they did but have no actual records to show. Their stories range from anecdotal to exaggerated to bald faced lies. It is a simple matter to ask to see records. Some have them, some don't. Guess which you should believe.

PLB