Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Sep 2017 20:12:20 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (23 lines)
> I can understand why some strains of bees might not be well adapted to a cold (or warm) winter.  I can not understand how the same genetics could differ in cold response depending on where the queens  were raised.

Shades of Lamarck and Lysenko!

> Is there any actual data that shows southern queens under perform in the north versus queens with the same genetics raised in the north?  I think this is simply a myth which mainly seems to be pushed hard by the treatment free folks as an excuse for letting bees die.  

I agree!

Pete

ΒΆ

In 1964, physicist Andrei Sakharov spoke out against Lysenko in the General Assembly of the Russian Academy of Sciences:

> He is responsible for the shameful backwardness of Soviet biology and of genetics in particular, for the dissemination of pseudo-scientific views, for adventurism, for the degradation of learning, and for the defamation, firing, arrest, even death, of many genuine scientists.

After Lysenko's monopoly on biology and agronomy had ended, it took many years for these sciences to recover in Russia.

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2