From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jan 2017 17:17:03 -0000
Hi Randy

I do not cover the lid with mesh, but the bees do not seem to remove any thymol crystals.  In fact they are repelled by them and some, particularly Italians I found in the past, will propolise the excluder round the lid as though they are trying to protect the brood area from the vapour - oddly, black bees that normally use more propolis do not see to do this as much.  Incidentally, it is crucial not to spill any thymol down into the brood as it will certainly kill it.

The method of application is based on research by Mariano Higes and Jesús Llorente of the Regional Apiculture Centre, Agrarian Investigation Service Joint Communities of Castilla - La Mancha, which was reported in Bee Biz, July 1997. Effectiveness was quoted at up to 97.6%.  The recommendation was for 4 weekly treatments of 8g twice a year - first in the spring and again after the crop is removed.  I quickly cut this to three treatments, then cut out the spring one.  Now many colonies only get two doses and we are heading towards treatment free.  My reasoning was always that we needed to expose bees to lower levels of varroa if they were ever going to cope with it themselves.  After 20 years we seem to be making progress, but it has been a long haul.  I have never used the 'hard' chemicals.

Best wishes

Peter
52°14'44.44"N, 1°50'35"W