Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 22 Sep 2017 15:30:46 -0400
Subject:
Sender:
From:
Lee Burough <[log in to unmask]>
>Bill T writes: "...My degree was in explosive chemistry..."

I claim no expertise in this area, there are several gaps in my education.  I'll pay close attention to your accounts in these matters from here on Bill.  :)

>  Randy Oliver writes:  "Two more questions:

1.  Could you please confirm that it was pure ethanol that you used?
2.  What was the approx air temp--the flash point of ethanol is roughly 62F."

Randy,
- We used Mohawk brand 190 proof Grain Alcohol.
- It was a nice summer day, probably 85+ F.

Asking the simple question of whether or not fogging with Oxalic Acid alone suspended within the alcohol carrier would kill mites in one hive, we began fogging treatments at three day intervals (no control) using 100ml of alcohol with 25 grams of oxalic acid in a VAROMOR fogger.  The fuel canister included with the device when shipped from the Ukraine was depleted after our preliminary learning with the fogger and after three treatments...replacement fuel canisters are not available in the US. Our pretreatment mite count with thorough alcohol wash was 3.2% and after three treatments the mite count was 1.9% (may not be as effective as OAV).  Our Treatment protocol was unfinished, did not cover one entire brood cycle, and does not give us much information, certainly nothing to generalize or apply to advice for mite treatments.

In the link below, you will see the device we chose (because of it's measured dose per stroke of the pump and it's somewhat adjustable flame).  In that ebay ad you will also see the only English instructions on the web for using this device as well as some of the recipes (in English) for using Amitraz, Fluvalinate and soft treatments like OA and thymol. We were only interested in the OA and thymol but haven't finished any preliminary tests because we bought a device that does not use canisters available here.  The same device is now available on ebay with an adaptor to fit gas canisters sold in the USA.  It should be noted that this fogger has a multiplicity of variables in its use that affect the outcome; OAV or OAD are much simpler and easier to be consistent in application compared to this device.  JMO
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SALE-Fumigator-Vaporiser-VAROMOR-Device-for-smoking-bees-in-varooz-/222168789298?hash=item33ba4ab132:m:mqTaNlcZxsh07pkIZF5YtqQ