Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2017 07:06:49 -0500
Subject:
Sender:
From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
One of my interests is reading the old journals, such as "The Rural New Yorker." Often I find things put it into words so well, that they cannot be improved upon:

OUR BEE HINTS.

THE time for active work in the apiary is again near at hand. Indeed, in the more southern latitudes vegetation has already begun, and with the coming month of March the swelling buds will develop into tender sprigs of green and open their inviting blossoms to the busy bee that will eagerly search them for fresh food after the long winter's rest. It may be well briefly to consider a few points of interest in connection with the opening of spring work and bee keeping in general, and especially would we recommend such consideration to amateurs who have, as yet, but little experience, as well as to those who contemplate starting in this pursuit in the near future.

There are two classes of persons that will, and profitably may, engage in beekeeping -- those who begin the work with a view to make it their business, who make it their only or, at least, their main occupation, and those who begin it, not so much for the profits as for the sake of the recreation and pleasure it affords. This latter class is by far the larger of the two, embracing the majority of our farmers and many professional men. We may add a third class: those who have heard of the profits realized from the business, and, thinking it a most excellent way to get rich without any outlay, study or work, madly rush into it with the idea that all they have to do is to market the honey and pocket the money. For these we write not, however; they had better never begin.

March 1, 1879