From:
Nancy Wicker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2017 11:30:51 -0400
Ruth,

This is my workaround when using OAV when I have honey supers on.

Late in the afternoon before I plan to treat I lift the supers and install a bee-escape board underneath the lowest one. (It helps if you only have one super, but with some extra effort you can do this with as many as you like.)

The bees leave the super overnight.

Before treating I lift the supers off, and set a plastic political sign down on top of the bees escape board and replace the supers (for weight to seal the vapor in.)

An hour after I have finished treating I remove the supers, the political sign and the bee escape and replace the supers as normal.

Some people take the escape board off right away, but I like to give the vapors a bit of time to settle down.

Nobody is going to do a lot of this routinely, but sometimes you just need to treat, right now.

Of course, you can always use MAQS with the supers on.

Nancy