From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Dec 2017 13:26:04 -0800

> > I have a couple of questions about the data you used.  Does the term
> pesticide, in your chart, include fungicides and other 'cides or only
> insecticides?

Bob, the chart was based upon rough WHO data.  The weights included sulfur
and other fungicides, which constitute a large proportion. I don't know
whether the figures were for adjuvants.  I made the chart more for
country-to-country comparison, rather than for hard numbers.  BTW, Costa
Rica was so far off the chart that I didn't include it.

> >Does cropland include rangeland and other land left fallow?

Can't remember--I made it a few years ago.  I think that I simply pulled
the corresponding WHO figure for hectares of "crop land."

>> With almonds vast numbers of hives are moved into one relatively small
area

Almond pollination indeed exposes colonies to pathogens and viral strains
from across the U.S.  Prior to bloom, colonies may be held in large holding
yards, in which there may be substantial robbing.  During bloom it's
paradise for the bees for about 2-3 weeks, then dearth and robbing.  During
bloom the typical colony density is 2 colonies per acre.

Almond pollination can be very good for the bees if you get them in and out
quickly.  But the homogenization of parasite strains can't be ignored.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA