From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 May 2017 06:22:44 -0700
> > Either way  if we look at 40k bees decent colony,  then at 25% were
> talking 10k mites

I'm sorry Charlie--I have the benefit of looking at my model of mite
populations--I'd be glad to share a copy if you have the time to compare.
 25% infestation of the pupae would be more than 10k mites, since at that
point, there are more than an average of one mite per cell.  And that
accounts ONLY for the mites in the brood.  At that point in time, there
would also be roughly the same number of mites phoretic.

>  Maybe the super mite we are breeding is not from chemical resistance,
> but from the ability to transfer hive to hive better??

That appears to be only the half of it.  Due to its roughly 17-day
generation cycle, varroa has the capability to evolve rapidly in order to
adapt to its novel host.

In answer to Dave's bee counts--1200 adult bees per side of a deep
langstroth frame is a well-accepted figure.  I've personally confirmed by
counting.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA