Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jan 2017 13:13:34 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (16 lines)
Mite management is a year around focus for us. Basically every trip to the beeyards other than moving them involves some type of mite control. Hard and soft, depending on the time of year. Even then, some yards are always a bit beat up with mites, viruses, and their ilk We plan on some hives getting beat up, as no matter what we do, we can't keep up with them 100% all of the time. Those bees leave the northern latitudes for southern ones to immediately enjoy some natural pollen flow, further mite reductions with controls, pollen patties with fumidil, and light syrup with hbh or prohealth. Most recover, but otherwise we would probably lose 12% quite quickly if left in our cold northern climate. Then we would be lucky to have only 25% losses by spring if we didn't move south by November. 

I'm amazed at how cavalier some beeks are in regards to mite control. Even if mite rolls are low we still treat. The next hatch is coming along with more mites. I tell all beeks or wanabees that never let your guard down in regards to mite control if you want to enjoy success. I would by and large measure success by healthy bees, decent honey production, strong pollinators, and big populations to make splits. 

Kirk Jones

Sleeping Bear Farms   beekeepers making honey...
St. Ambrose Meadery/Winery- sister business of Sleeping Bear

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2