From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Mar 2017 12:22:19 -0400
Hi all
While I applaud BeeInformed for their ceaseless work on the issues, I still find their reports frustrating. However, spending a little time with the website reveals several significant findings.

One, that commercial beekeepers in 2016 reported lower loss than backyard beekeepers: 26% vs 38%. Two, beekeepers that treated for mites lost fewer colonies than those that didn't: 28% vs 41%.

Finally, the percentage that did not use any varroa control products: backyard beekeepers who did not treat lost 41% of their hives and commercial beekeepers who did not treat lost zero.

Does not treating lead to zero loss? Nope. This category is zero because no hives were not treated. Commercial beekeepers all treated for mites and had the lowest loss. Treating for varroa cut losses almost in half.

PLB