From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Apr 2016 11:10:07 -0400
Peter

> what observations support the hypothesis that smoke immobilizes bees

The paper says smoke reduces foraging and number of guards at entrance.  I don't call that immobilization.

There are reports of smoke that will - in Africa, with horizontal hives, often hung from trees or stands, and knowing that the bees are AHB, some groups harvest specific leaves to burn, lay down a really heavy smoke.  When the hive is opened, all of the bees are in a pile in the bottom of the hive.  Bees appear to be dead (toxic smoke).  But, after honey is quickly harvested, the bees start to stir and come back to life.  That, I call immobilization - so maybe we've a semantics problem here.

Other than chemical smoke that works as an anesthetic, the only thing I know that immobilizes - paralyzes bees, is a specific vibrational frequency.  I can instantly lock up the movements of all bees on several frames and hold them immobile for short periods - several seconds to maybe a minute max.