From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Sep 2016 10:04:13 -0400
Locke writes:

> Many of these natural Varroa mite-surviving A. mellifera populations are smaller colonies than seen in apiculture as the artificial selection pressure for high honey yields insisted in apiculture has been removed. The ability for colonies to swarm might not completely prevent the mite population buildup by the autumn, but when combined together with other colony population dynamics and mite-resistant traits, it can contribute to reducing the mite population growth and improving colony longevity. Unnaturally high colony density in apiculture leads to higher mite re-infestation and increased spread of disease (Seeley and Smith 2015).

There is a lot in this one paragraph alone. I have noticed time and again that the really large colonies that we beekeepers prefer have much more trouble with varroa than smaller colonies. Colonies that swarm regularly seem less infested as well. Finally, high colony density is a real problem for beekeepers in many areas, such as mine.

Knowing that small colonies which are allowed to swarm and are located in low density areas experience less problems with mites is not very valuable to beekeepers, in my opinion. If you are keeping bees as for honey bee conservation purposes this might be worth knowing, but otherwise, no.

We want big colonies that don't swarm, and we want to locate them in good areas, where there are very likely to be plenty of other beekeepers. You may be able to keep a couple of hives in single boxes and never have mite problems, but what's the point?

PLB