From:
Christina Wahl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jul 2016 11:12:14 +0000
> As I have said before, in my view, sound perception and "hearing"
> are not the same thing. Following Alexander Luria,

> "In order to hear and understand what is said, one must be able
> to recognize the different sounds."

Peter.

"Sensation" is the ability to physically acquire a signal.  You and I have no sensation for infrared radiation, for instance.  Pit vipers do.

"Perception" is the neural response to the signal.  Bees do have that as Jim pointed out.  There is no reason to have a "sensation" unless there is also "perception"...namely, what the animal does with the information.  The nervous system processes the sensory input and we call that "perception".  Bees differentiate among sounds.  Bees respond differently to different sounds.  Some they ignore, some they don't.

That's hearing.  Whether it resembles our sense of hearing or not does not matter.  Bats hear, their sensation for hearing is arguably much better than ours.  Does that mean we don't hear?  No.  Same thing...our sensation of hearing is more refined in many ways than that of the bee.  This doesn't mean that the bee can't hear.

Christina