From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Sep 2016 07:07:28 -0400
Hi all
Finally we can attach photos to messages at bee-l ! I almost missed them, because they were "attached" rather than in the body of the message.

We often see immature drones on the porch of the hive. This can be due to any number of causes including sudden shifts in the weather. This can cause brood to become chilled and die, and the bees throw it out.

On the other hand, they could be removing drones before they are born at this stage in the season, as drone production should be cut way back as they won't be "needed." Later the bees may be seen evicting live drones.

The wings are probably just undeveloped at the stage the photos were taken. I would not take that as evidence of deformed wing virus.

By the way, I second the suggestion that the new (2015) Hive and the Honey Bee is the book to have. The new edition is full of interesting articles, color pictures, and ranges from basic to deeply scientific, depending on topic. Hats off to Joe Graham and his authors.

PLB