Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Aug 2016 08:08:35 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (16 lines)
> I taste any aged sub before I feed it.  If it has developed an off flavor or odor, I put it into the compost pile, similar to how I test food that I find in my kitchen refrigerator.

Hi all
I am not even going to address the wisdom of tasting food to see if it's spoiled. Spoiled food can be extremely toxic.

> Food supplements such as pollen are rich in proteins, lipids, and sugar and are thus also susceptible to rapid degradation, which in turn increases the risk for food poisoning due to fungal growth. In general, fungal contamination of food involves the presence of mycotoxins, which are products of fungal secondary metabolism (FAO, 1990). Mycotoxins are carcinogenic, mutagenic, teratogenic, nephrotoxigenic, and immunosuppressive in humans and other animals, and are responsible for global food losses amounting to billions of dollars. -- Mycotoxicological and palynological profiles of commercial brands of dried bee pollen. Braz. J. Microbiol. vol.46 no.4 São Paulo Oct./Dec. 2015

> The economic impact of aflatoxins derive directly from crop and livestock losses as well as indirectly from the cost of regulatory programs designed to reduce risks to animal and human health. The Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) estimates that 25% of the world's food crops are affected by mycotoxins, of which the most notorious are aflatoxins. Aflatoxin losses to livestock and poultry producers from aflatoxin-contaminated feeds include death and the more subtle effects of immune system suppression, reduced growth rates, and losses in feed efficiency. -- Impact Of Aflatoxins On Animal And Human Health. International Journal of Innovative Science, Engineering & Technology, Vol. 2 Issue 2, February 2015

keywords: bee products; fungi; mycotoxins; pollen loads;  aflatoxins, aflatoxicosis, animal health, human health

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2