From:
Christina Wahl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Dec 2015 17:11:13 +0000
Jim said:  While Cornell refused to replace the
retiring Dr. Nick Calderone, and ceased providing their traditional
"land-grant college beekeeping extension" services, they do intend to
resurrect Nick's "Cornell Master Beekeeper" program, as they see that it can
provide them with a solid revenue stream.  Cynical, aren't they?

In defense of Cornell's Department of Entomology, Jim, they have NO (zero) obligation to provide NY beekeepers with any extension services.  However, at the loud request of many NY beekeepers and the state beekeeping association (ESHPA), they did finally arrange to staff Dyce with an extension associate and also an independent research associate (a rare position that I don't fully understand, as most research associates work for faculty).

The Master's program for beekeepers that is being planned will be primarily offered online, but with the special twist that exams....practical and written....will be held on-site at Dyce.  The Cornell IT people quoted a price to develop the course website at 80K...and that's just the beginning of the anticipated expenses.  Jerry, what has your website cost to implement?   Hiring photographers, bringing in experts to demonstrate skills in online videos, designing the website to be interactive, and then paying the people teaching the program (once it is up and running) is a cost so great that to accuse Cornell of doing this to make money is laughable.   No offense, Jim, but they aren't going to make any money anytime soon, they will be lucky to break even eventually.  The Chair is considering using a charitable donation to the Entomology department to help make this happen, and I find that a truly generous plan, since there are many more departmental needs that could have received this beneficial largesse.

It does seem that national (international ??) standardization of programs for "Master" training, such as is done for Master Gardeners, would be a really helpful move.  I also agree in principle with Randy's high standards for "Master".  I attended the "Golden Master's" awards banquet for my mother's 50 years as a Master Tailor.  Masters from several European guilds were there being honored, or watching their peers being honored.  I do not agree that simply running a successful business is what constitutes "mastering" the trade.  It is much, much more than that....and it varies from trade to trade.  You can be a Master Roofer, or a Master Carpenter, or a Master Plumber, and be nearly bankrupt most of your life.  Being an astute business person is a very different thing to mastering the art of your trade.   I honor my grandfather's ability with bees...he was, IMO, a "Master Beekeeper", with over 60 years experience when he died.  But he was a lousy businessman, and thus much of his wonderful, expert handling of bees, and his brilliant ability to garner bumper crops, ultimately benefitted the wallets of others in the "food chain".  To me, a Master Beekeeper is all that Randy says it is, without the unrelated ability to be economically viable.

Christina