From:
Cusick Farms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Sep 2015 18:04:22 -0400
(Not exactly the same topic, but related: plastic frames tend to get
propolized to lids or other frames above them much more than wooden
frames.  Why?)

I believe it's distance from the comb built in the frame to the gap. There
is only a milimeter or two between the comb and gap on a plastic frame.  If
you use thicker topbars you get almost none.  About an inch is sufficient
in my experience, I get some but not as much as plastic on frames with 3/4
inch top bars and basically none with inch.  I think it's just the bees
trying for continuous comb... When the gap is big enough they seem to give
up... Of course that's fewer cells per frame with thicker top bars...

Jeremy
West Michigan