From:
Robert Darrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Aug 2015 20:28:33 -0400
Hi All

I try to do sticky board counts every 2-3 weeks from June till
October(not very successful this year as I only got three done so
far).  This is not about this method as compared with others but about
the lack of varroa found.  The first two showed no mites from any of
my 8 production hives.  The third, counted yesterday after being in
the hives 3 days, showed 3 hives with 1 mite, 4 with 5 mites or less,
and 1 with 16 mites.  Even though the hive with 16 mites was much
higher than the others, but only dropped 5 mites per day, all of these
hives are lower than the Ministry of Ag recommendations.  Is my
experience being noticed  by others?

I copied the following thresholds from OMAFRA recommendations.

Monitoring Method 	Number of Varroa Mites in May 	Number of Varroa
Mites in August
Ether Roll 			1 mite / 100 bees 				2 mites / 100 bees
Alcohol Wash 			2 mites / 100 bees 				3 mites / 100 bees
Sticky Board 			9 mites / 24 hr drop 			12 mites / 24hr drop

I treated with apivar last autumn followed by oxalic dribble in early
December, but I don't treat for varroa in spring.

Comments appreciated!

Bob Darrell
Caledon Ontario
Canada