Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sat, 12 Sep 2015 21:21:41 -0400
From:
Przemek Skoskiewicz <[log in to unmask]>
7BIT
> Last time I checked the courts don't make the laws.  Its one thing to
> for a
> federal court to say the law is unfair and unconstitutional,  but last
> time
> I checked that ment the state was supposed to fix it.

The what?! How did this get past the moderator? Firstly, there's 200+
years of case law and judicial history in this country explaining the
division between the executive, legislative and judicial branches and the
checks and balances on each of them. Of course the courts have the power
to impose the law not only declaring in favor or against plaintiff, but
also enforcing their judgment by holding sides in contempt or imposing
stiff financial penalties. Not the state, the court.

This was a judgment by the appellate overturning a decision by an
executive branch - it's not making any law. It does not prevent the EPA
 from re-approving sulfoxaflor (or a similar insecticide) after gathering
more information and satisfying the objections of the 9th Circuit Court.

Just like debates about the causes of CCD or other bee ailments, there was
room for the debate in EPA's approval. The court decided to give more
weight to the beekeeping lobby. No law was made. Makes one wonder what
would the decision be 20 years ago, when there was no general media
awareness about the decline in pollinators and problems with bees. Just to
give you an example, I was utterly shocked to get on my favorite daily
Polish news site (www.gazeta.pl) yesterday and discover articles about the
national (in Poland) Adopt a Bee project. It's a cross between the US
federal pollinator task force and a crowd-funded way to raise money for
more bee research. At first I thought that they mean colonies, but no, one
"adopts" a bee for 2 zloty (about 75 cents). So far they've adopted over
50,000 nationally and the goal is 60,000. Interesting idea to raise money
for bee research, but who would've thought about this even a few years
ago?! https://www.adoptujpszczole.pl/.

As an aside, don't even try to figure out how to pronounce the word for
'bee' in Polish. It's amazing how the Slavic languages came up with
something so complex for a simple insect name - 5 consonants in a row in
the first syllable alone, :-)

Przemek