From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Apr 2016 05:55:09 -0700

> >I still think that the chief action of smoke is narcotic, it clouds the
> insect's awareness and immobilizes them. It has nothing to do with honey
> gorging or the intention to flee.

Pete, I'm curious as to what observations support the hypothesis that smoke
immobilizes bees--I do not see that. I often use a small amount of smoke to
encourage bees to move; more smoke causes them to take flight (I use smoke
every day this time of year to make bees shaken on the ground to take
flight and return to the hive--they do not lose their awareness or ability
to locate and return to the hive entrance).

A further shortcoming of the "clouding of awareness hypothesis" is that
when I use smoke to turn the bees' heads, they typically resume watching my
movements within a minute or so (apparently regaining awareness).  This can
be repeated any number of times.

Also curious as to how the hypothesis explains such "immobilized" and
"unaware" bees rushing to the honey/nectar and gorging themselves.

Re "intention," we are talking here about innate behavioral responses--no
intention is necessary.

I agree with Jerry that smoke is useful to mask scent on my person--I often
apply smoke to myself when indicated.  But I apply it to myself to do
so--not to the bees.

I do not claim to understand why bees respond to smoke as they do.  But the
hypothesis with the most compelling evidence is that it triggers shifts in
behavior--the suppression of colony defense, movement to avoid the fumes if
they are intense, and eliciting the gorging on honey.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA