Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Dec 2014 06:55:57 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (39 lines)
Charile,

I recall Ferro Bee and for now it is sitting in my memory bank next to Bee Shield.     

Wow, the side effects are as bad as the various RX scripts I am prescribed to take each day.

Too much iron and too many drones?  Too much iron and all the bees will die?  

If the ferro bee fed bees end up robbing another colony being fed honey b healthy or other essentials oils, they are committing suicide by absorption of too much iron?    

A 325 mg iron supplement tablet  (taken by humans) contains the following amounts of elemental iron depending on the type of iron:

Ferrous fumarate. 108 mg of elemental iron
Ferrous sulfate. 65 mg of elemental iron
Ferrous gluconate. 35 mg of elemental iron

Did the makers of Ferro Bee ever disclose what amount of elemental iron (in mcg or mg or g) is in a "dose" of Ferro bee?

Wonder what would happen if a ferrous sulfate tab was crushed and dissolved in syrup or a supplemental water source.

Or would a couple of rusty nails be enough?

I have seen foragers in weird places (usually in the Spring), such as working the ash of a several year old burn pile left in a what was the remains of a rusted collapsed 55 gallon drum.  They were on it for almost a week.  They only worked it one year and have never been back.

Last Spring freshly spent coffee grounds on compost piles seemed to attract the attention of bees.  It will be interesting to see if  freshly spent coffee grounds attract the bees again in the Spring of 2015.

I presume the bees are best at determining what trace elements and minerals they need.

I will remain skeptical about Ferro Bee until it can be really tested by someone such as you or Randy. 

Steve Petrilli
Central Illinois

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2