From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jul 2014 08:31:18 -0700
>At first thought I am confused.   Sentinel apiaries??  Who would run them?

> What standards for beekeeping?  ...  Did you have something
> in particular as an outline?

Of course!  A strict protocol of best management processes, to be verified
and recorded, as well as periodic samples to be taken of bees and
beebread.  On site inspection by one or more trained overseers.  Any group
of recreational beekeepers, if willing, could run.  Their participation
would be revoked if they were not able to carefully follow the protocol.
The beauty would be that this could be a beekeeper funded and run
initiative, with perhaps one or more of the registrants paying for a
central data manager (I'm in discussion).  All data would be posted on
line, and open to analysis by any and all.  Charlie, I've given this
proposal some thought, and spoken about it with a number of well-informed
stakeholders.

> >What this task force would attempt to do,(assuming it does anything)  is
> to rule by fiat. There is no win/win when the rules are mandated by a
> disinterested 3rd party.

Charlie, I never suggested that I thought that the current iteration of the
task force was good or bad.  But, like it or not, it exists, and it is
likely going to spend taxpayer dollars, and come up with regulations or
actions to be acted upon (more taxpayer dollars).

So we can whine about it, or we can get involved and help to steer it in
useful directions.

> It's the carrot and stick argument.  In this case  the idea is talk about
a carrot...

> but probably beat with a stick.

I often dislike how well-intentioned government mandates are implemented.
Typically they apply the stick more than the carrot.   To me, this is
entirely the wrong approach to the agricultural community, which responds
far more favorably to carrots that to sticks.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA