From:
Medhat Nasr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Dec 2014 19:24:31 +0000
Thanks Peter for sharing this info published by Nick Calderone. I totally agree with his views. Just think about the economics of the industry in 1980-2000. Too many factors have shaped the industry development over the years.  Some of these factors are the following: 1) High cost of production, 2) low pollination fees, 3) High gas prices, 3) low honey prices mostly $0.55-0.80 per pound,  and 4) Chinese honey flooding the market.

For sure you find the situation reflected on no new entry of young beekeepers to the industry. How can you get into an industry in the red most of the time?

I had this discussion with one of Alberta agriculture economist and his analyses was agreeable to Dr Calderone's analyses. The economics of the industry have been ignored in recent years and the focus has become on something else. You name it.

Now economy is good but bee's health is not there!!! Too much use of bees to make a quick buck as long as it lasts. We may need an overhaul of our management system to a sustainable one. Education and new options for management are key.

Agriculture in general is advancing  at a rate faster than beekeeping. We need to catch up and advance our business to today's reality not staying in the past. Unfortunately we have been focusing on issues that are around us but not on issues dealing with our industry. We want a change on everything around us  is it easy to ask others to change and if not they get the blame.  I believe that our success will start when we start a change from within.

Food for thoughts
Happy new year to Bee L members. Thinking of Ed Southwick and his vision of establishing this form for Beekeepers to discuss today's issues .

Medhat Nasr

Edmonton Alberta Canada