From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Mar 2014 19:14:48 -0500
> I did read the paper, but apparently interpret it differently.

Well, perhaps this will help. Here's what one of the authors says:
http://zayedlab.apps01.yorku.ca/wordpress/?p=787

"Studying selection in social insects is not straight forward because worker
honey bees are effectively sterile - they do not have offspring of their
own, so they can only experience positive selection indirectly; mutations
that affect a worker's helping behaviour can only spread through the
population if the helping behaviour allows their mother queen to produce
more queens and drones (reproductive male bees); this is called
kin-selection.  We set out to look for evidence of kin selection by
searching for signs of positive selection on genes and proteins that affect
worker traits.  We find very strong evidence that genes associated with
worker behaviour experience high rates of positive selection."

>> ....Bond bees...

> Not sure that I interpret the same way.

The please explain the specifics your interpretation the quotes I provided.

> May I suggest reading Barbara Locke's more recent evaluation (2012)?
> "The VSH and Russian bee breeding populations..."

"VSH" and "Russian" "breeding populations" would not have been created via
the "Bond Method", would they?  My point was that the "Bond approach" seemed
unproductive, not breeding for resistance in general, of course.