From:
Jason Bruns <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Mar 2014 07:21:51 -0400
On 03/15/2014 09:02 AM, charles Linder wrote:
> Jason,  Maybe the problem is our definition.   We refer to the Mite as a
> parasite,  but maybe we should call it a predator.
> Wolves kill every creature then can catch.  Too many wolves everything
> dies..... much like varro.

They are just life forms and all they want to do is persist.  Want to
call them a parasite well we all live with them.  Call them predator and
we see sustainable predator prey relationships all over the animal
kingdom.  These STABLE relationships are everywhere in the animal
kingdom except where we BALANCE the scales.

Peter Borst I don't know how you can think that there is no goal in
evolution.  The goal IS TO SURVIVE, AND MULTIPLY.  Beekeepers also need
to get over this NON-native idea here in the states.  They are here just
like varroa.  The Jeannie is out of the bottle for all of these
invasives.  Eradication is a pipe dream and will never happen.  Case in
point.  When Europeans first came to the Americas they brought with them
new diseases that the Natives were not accustomed to dealing with.  The
results from small pox alone was devastating to native populations, but
it didn't kill them all just as small pox NEVER kills everyone it
infects.  Just like it has always done as a disease with humans.  If it
did NO MORE HUMANS.

To varroa as a species expanding from Apis cerana to Apis mellifera was
nothing more than varroa attempting to go forth and prosper. Sadly it
was or fault, just as most of the problems we face these days.  What I
am trying to get you to understand Peter is that it sucks for business,
but species have been doing these things for way longer than we have
been pondering how it all works.  This is just another stumbling block
in Apis mellifera's long story of evolution.  It sucks, for us living
now trying to be profitable with bees, but the sky is not falling.